The provincial government has begun a process of policy change including the Coast Forest Sector Revitalization Strategy and senior staff will be presenting details. VIEA has been awarded funding from the Rural Dividend Fund to conduct a two-year pilot project on waste wood recovery and fire hazard mitigation in the Cowichan Region and will present information as this project is being launched. Parallel to this, Khowutzun Forestry Services is working with several partners to develop effective methodology for fibre recovery that will be both cost effective as well as meeting the environmental goals of the Provincial Government and will speak about this project.
Island Wood Industry Forum II will provide opportunity for industry stakeholders to learn more about steps being taken to improve access to fibre, the objectives of the VIEA and Khowutzun projects and how these are rolling out, and implications in new government priorities.
- What are the business to business opportunities in waste fibre recovery?
- How might a ‘clearing house’/distribution network improve access to fibre?
- What new approaches to fibre management–sorting, equipment, transportation–are needed to be cost-effective?
- Might private, community and First Nations forest holdings present opportunities for small scale, local, joint ventures?
- What is government doing to incentivize investment in manufacturing?
- How can stakeholders coordinate for cost effective salvage and transport?
- What new industries will use what wood profiles and how will we facilitate access?
The Industry Forum will feature several presentations with opportunity to network between 8:30am and 2:30pm focused on ‘next steps’ to take advantage of emerging industry opportunities. Watch for program updates…
It’s time for industry stakeholders to come back together re: changes to government policies, industry practices, challenges, and emerging opportunities. We’d like you to join the conversation!
Register NOW (Be sure to use your VIEA member discount)
Island Wood is generously sponsored by Khowutzun Development Corporation, Cowichan Valley Regional District, MNP, Inland Group, and Mosaic Forest Management.
See you there!
George Hanson, President, Vancouver Island Economic Alliance
(Also, mark your calendars to attend VIEA’s 13th annual ‘State of the Island’ Economic Summit October 23/24, 2019.)